Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas in the Living Room


What a whirlwind last few days of decorating it has been!  I held off until after Thanksgiving to start decorating for Christmas, but that meant getting all the decorating done quickly.  It didn't help that I needed to paint all the walls before I could start decorating either!

Despite missing decorating my old house for Christmas this year, I did have fun putting the living room together here in the rental.  It really helped that I just painted the existing dark brown walls in a light green/gray/blue color so the room felt all new to me... It was starting to feel like a cave!
I really only have this room and the dining room to decorate this year, so there were quite a few Christmas decorations that went back out to the garage until we're settled again.
While the room is small and my furniture feels much too big for the room sometimes, I do love having the built-in shelving flanking the fireplace. They hold my some of my favorite things and I also added some Christmas touches like silver pinecones, greenery, and a few ornaments.  In addition, I added liberal amounts of fresh greenery, magnolia leaves, cotton, and ribbon to $3 artificial swags from Michael's that I hung at the top of each side...
I also added a swag above my fireplace mirror and filled the mantel with large pinecones, bottle brush trees, and faux snow...

The woodwork on the mantel isn't in the best condition, so I did a little camouflage with the faux snow and garland behind the stockings.  Worked like a charm...
We've never had a cohesive look to our family stockings until now and I have to admit that I'm pretty smitten with them!  I'm a sucker for chunky-knit anything!  I bought these at the Pottery Barn Outlet in GA when I was there for the Country Living Fair.  I believe the pom-pom stockings were around $15 each in the kids area and the others were not much more.
I have a funny little tale about the Christmas tree this year...  Those of you that have followed my blog for the last several Christmas's know that I've been using this puny, old artificial tree that has giant gaps between branches.  I've had it for forever and I always intend on getting rid of it every year!
I grew up hiking on our farm with the family and picking out a "real" tree every year so artificial ones have never been my favorite, but my husband is allergic to the real ones.  Since moving to NC a couple years ago, he's noticed that the Fraser firs that are grown here don't bother him like the ones back home, so we were going to try out a "real" tree and see how he did...
Well, it turned out that the real tree didn't bother him, and even though we got a smaller tree, it was still huge in this little room so you can guess what tree I'm back to using!  Each year, I try to fill the large gaps in the tree with something different (dried hydrangeas, etc), and I decided to fill it with a few cotton garlands that I bought online for about $14/each.  It really made the difference and the cotton goes great with the rest of the room and the Christmas ornaments I already owned.
Now that I officially have coordinating stockings, I guess it was time to have a nice, custom tree skirt too!  I've been in love with this fabric for a while and bought a bunch of it last spring for pillows, etc...
My mom has been doing quite a bit of sewing lately and generously offered to make me a tree skirt... I love it! Thanks Mom!  I also tucked my dough bowl under the tree to hold small gifts...
On the opposite side of the room from the Christmas tree is my favorite antique hutch/cabinet that I like to decorate up for Christmas...
I added some greenery to the top along with another cotton garland, large demijohn, and an olive bucket with greenery...
I also added some Christmas elements inside with the dishes too...
There's quite a bit of Christmas packed into this little room!  The fresh paint and some pretty new decorations just helps us all feel a little bit more comfortable in the rental.

Now if you're ready for more Christmas inspiration, you don't want to miss...
Once again, I'm excited to be part of this talented group of bloggers...





36 comments:

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Gorgeous, truly gorgeous! You have a tremendous talent for décor...wonderful job!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Everything looks beautiful Kristen!! LOVE your antique hutch!

Deb said...

What a beautiful blog. I just found you today and am your new follower from Ontario, Canada. Deb

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kristen, it is all gorgeous. I love the tree and you did a fabulous job on the mantel. No one would know it isn't perfect because it is now. That tree skirt is my favorite thing and the cute pillows. Your mom does such good work.

Mary said...

Oh Kristen, I want to curl up in front of your tree with a mug of cocoa! I love the cotton balls tucked the branches of your tree! Your hutch is beautiful with your whites and bits of greenery and pine cones.

Laura @ duke manor farm said...

As always your style and decor are just perfect. What a beautiful holiday space....despite the challenges in the rental. Happy Holidays Kristen!

Dawn said...

Your place looks beautiful. I can't believe you even took the time to paint, what an ambitious thing to do. I love all the cotton in the tree that is a brilliant idea, and all the natural elements are my favorite. Gorgeous girl.

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

You've done a wonderful job decorating your rental for the holidays. Everything looks so warm and charming. I'm really digging the cotton garland and love your chunky knit PB stockings. I've been wanting the PB cable knit stockings but they're so hard to find since they've been discont.

Stacey said...

So very pretty! I love the way you styled your shelves. Love all the natural touches.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You painted the room before decorating! You've been so busy! I love this room! You have turned it into a jewel with your paint choice and Christmas decor! The cotton garlands are my favorite! My Granddad was a cotton farmer and owned a gin. It looks stunning with your greenery! Your tree skirt is fabulous- what a sweet mom to make it for you! Thank you for sharing your home with us!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Your home looks lovely, Kristen! I know it's a temporary rental, but you've really given it your touch and made it a cozy home. Love the mantel. You'd never know there are gaps in the tree! You've done a great job filling it in.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

It's fabulous!! Your shelf styling is so wonderful, and the room feels cozy and charming! That little house must be so happy that you're making it beautiful now :)
xo, Andrea

Bernideen said...

I love the addition of the cotton balls for you as it represents where you live. Your last year tree with the hydrangeas also was something I did for years and have now moved away from. I loved all the dried flowers - even lots of larkspur but sometimes change is good! Your home looks lovely and I love the bird theme.

Anne Boykin said...

Hi Kristen, Happy Holidays! Everything looks so lovely no one would ever guess this wasn't your forever home. You have really made it beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

You've done a super job! There is a richness with subdued color. I have just checked Pottery Barn online for those handsome stockings. No luck. Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas!!

~Sami

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Stunning Kristen…love the cotton and used lots of it too…and the tree skirt is fantastic!!!..the stockings look great..so glad you got them. The living room looks gorgeous…you are like Mary Poppins…you have worked your "Kristen magic" again!!!

Bonnie said...

Love the cotton theme and pillows and tree skirt. Such a pretty fabric. I love how you used fresh greenery , pine cones and your knitted stockings. The way you did your mantel and tree are just beautiful.

Can't believe you have done all this so quickly. Thank you for inviting us to tour your home.

Unknown said...

Absolutely Amazing! You stole my heart with this theme. I love cotton!

Debbie said...

I love your style, your home is always beautiful!
Debbie

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

You deserve to be with this bunch of talented women - you decorations/room are beautiful! I'm so stuck in inspiration at the moment and hubs wants to suck all decorations up and throw them out!

Pamela said...

Everything look so beautiful Kristin!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Everything is so beautiful, Kristen!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Everything looks so beautiful, Kristen!

Just Judy said...

Kristen, you are amazing! Your are very creative! Merry Christmas!
Judy

Patty Rumaker said...

I think you did a wonderful job decorating. Your living room looks lovely.
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

The Hen House Chicks said...

Absolutely beautiful! Your rooms are always amazing. I love the paint color and have been looking for something like it. Care to share the color and brand?

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

I am in love with your stockings and that tree skirt- how gorgeous!! Your Christmas decor is just beautiful!! Sharing!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Just stunning!
Your really did an amazing job, the tree skirt and mantle are my faves.
Cindy

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I can't get over what you've managed to do with this rental. It really is incredible. It's stunning and so homey. Totally adore that cotton garland! Loved doing Deck The Halls with you...Happy Holidays!

Sue P. said...

So, So Pretty! I think my favorite things are your cotton garlands and the script wrapping paper.
Sue P.

Becca Bertotti said...

Kristen, you and your sweet Mom are a force to be reckoned with! Your home is gorgeous decked out for the holidays! I love, love the cotton splashed in your trees and garland … such a great idea! Happy Holidays!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Everything looks just beautiful! It's so great to see that even a "home" that's not your real "home" can still be lovely with the right decorating and a clean palette! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Love every detail and the colors you chose, so pretty! Your living room is decorated beautifully!

Lady said...

This is so gorgeous! It should be in a magazine! I recently learned you went to Gonzaga? I recently moved to Spokane!

D said...

I just love how you incorporated the cotton into the decor, love,love,love it! Beautiful.

Unknown said...

Love the use of the cotton bolls in your holiday decor, tree, and swags!!! Where did you buy the garlands with the cotton bolls? I would love to buy some. I am originally from Mississippi and love the cotton theme!!! Even though I have lived i New England for the past twenty-five years, I love to use Southern touches in my holiday decor too!!! Thanks for the information. Love your blog!!! My email is bebekennedy30@gmail.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...