Monday, July 9, 2012

Glaze Craze - Tips for Glazing Furniture

A few weeks ago when I shared my recently re-finished Coco dresser and master bedroom preview, I promised I'd pass along my tips for getting that glazed (dark or light) look for all your projects...


Glazing isn't anything new to the furniture re-finishing world, but I find it my go-to technique for most of my furniture. Between my parents and I, we've been doing the "glaze craze" for several years now.  The Coco dresser was actually inspired by their bathroom vanity...
I've always loved that lime-washed or pickled look on antique furniture and it's a very simple technique that adds tons of character to furniture and accessories and is best for highlighting details of a piece.  You can achieve the look many different ways including a simple watered-down paint wash, tinted wax, or glazing medium.  While they all have their benefits, I generally find myself turning to the glazing medium before anything else because I feel like the drying time is a little longer and allows me more time to play with the paint and get the finish I want and is less expensive than other options.  Glazing medium is very thin and translucent and is often used for faux-finishing walls, but is a great tool for furniture too.
You can find glazing medium virtually anywhere as most major paint retailers carry some form of it.  I just happened to have a can of Martha Stewart's Faux Finishing Glaze from Home Depot in my stash.  The ratio for mixing paint with glaze medium is generally 1 part paint to 4 parts glaze, but each product is different...just check the can.  Since I wanted an off-white glaze for my dresser, I simply used some Behr "Creamy White" in a flat finish.  Those little sample pots of paint work well for this! It doesn't take much product to mix up small batches for furniture and a can will last quite a while.  You can use any color you want including a dark brown for darker glazes...
After mixing up the glazing medium and paint, simply apply with a small brush into the the areas that you want to highlight and wipe off any excess with a wet rag or damp paper towel.  I love using those blue shop towels for furniture projects as they are disposable, but thick like a cloth rag.  The glaze is easy to re-apply if you wipe too much off and stays workable allowing you to get the look that you want. You will want to seal any heavily-used surfaces like tabletops if you decide to use glaze though.
To make glazing even simpler, pre-mixed glaze products are also available to take the guess-work out of color choices and measuring. General Finishes has many pre-mixed color glaze options.  I always have a can of the "Van Dyke Brown" around for darker glazing like my daughter's bed (picture above) or my desk...
You also don't have to stick to just furniture if you want that glazed look on other items around the house...
I bought this pair of resin lamps at a yard sale several years ago for $3, spray-painted them chocolate brown and simply added the white glaze to the details...
 as well as a $4 pair of buffet wicker lampshades that I picked up a discount store a while back .

The possibilities are endless and the finish is easily painted over if you change your look in the future!  How about you?  Have you tried glazing yet and how do you compare it to tinted wax and other color wash treatments?

Kristen


Sharing at:

31 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Well, you obviously know what you are doing, Kristen. Your pieces come out so beautifully! I haven't done glazing in years ~ probably not since the early to mid 90's. I do love the look though. It's been so long I think I'm more afraid of trying it again than anything else.

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Your pieces are amazing! I've never given glazing a try, but I hope to soon. I loved seeing your pieces in person at Lucketts.

Megan

Pamela said...

Great tips! I always leave in dreamland after seeing your work! It is fabulous!

Debra@CommonGround said...

Kristen, your pieces are always amazing. love the cocoa with the white glaze, it's just gorgeous!!!

Jen Lossing, Artistic Abode Designs said...

Thanks so much for the tips. I am always looking for new ways to refinish furniture. I am new to your blog and just love it! I am a new follower!

Jessica | Petal + Ply said...

such a fan of your cocoa dresser! I was thinking of doing french linen in our master but after seeing the cocoa I think it mught be a better fit. I haven't tried glazing yet either but I should!

Heather @ The JUNKtion said...

Thanks for sharing. I loved reading your glazing tips. I also loved that you talked about using a light glaze, not always just a dark glaze. Thanks for the info!!

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

I haven't done glazing in a while, working up the courage to do again soon on a piece. What you've done has turned out beautiful. Thanks for the tips!

unexpected Necessities said...

Thanks for sharing that info. I love your furniture pieces!

Savannah Granny said...

Hi, This is a great post full of good information. I have used the glazing method in the past. I have it to be a workhorse for achieving a high end look. I don't do a lot of painting now but I always enjoy seeing what you young ladies are doing.
Thanks for sharing, Ginger :)

Deserae said...

Beautiful pieces!! Thanks for sharing all your tips :o)
~Des

Michele Smith said...

Hi Sophia,
I'm so glad you found me! We have been in NC for 5 years and I love it here. How do you like it so far?
We actually live near Goldsboro on SJAFB. I try to go to Selma atleast once a month, my favorite shop there is Reid's Country Sampler.
Have you tried the Cakery ? It used to be in Selma but moved to Smithfield, they have the most delicious cupcakes LOL (I am a cupcake freak!!!)
I'm looking forward to getting to "know" you and poke around your blog a bit hehe
Have a good night!
Michele

Michele Smith said...

oops I totally forgot to say thank you for the tutorial, I'm always interested in learning different techniques as I am a newbie when it comes to painting. Your pieces are lovely.

Michele

Atta Girl Amy said...

I definitely want to try glazing. Thanks for showing me how. Love the light glazes, and I'm coveting that dresser and your desk.

Atta Girl Amy
Www.attagirlsays.com

jennyhenny said...

Do you still wax after glazing? or is the glaze a finish?

Ethereal PLUS what I Love said...

Love ... love ... love that desk :)
New follower, Francine

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

This is such great inspiration! I have been debating about how to finish a cabinet I'm working on, and I think this is the right technique for it. Thanks for the info!
Cheers, Andrea

Kristin said...

I have never tried glazing!! Now I want to give it a try. Thanks for the tips!!

Kristin said...

I have never tried glazing but now I REALLY want to give it a try. Thanks for the tips!!

Honey at 2805 said...

Thanks for all the great tips and inspiration! And thank you for sharing your knowledge at Potpourri Friday!

PJH Designs said...

You always do beautiful things. Glazing is something I like to do also. I've given you the "Versatile Blogger" award. Please stop by to see what it is all about. http://www.pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Everything is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing you tips. Visiting from 2805. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-5.html Wishing you a grand weekend. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHousde

Lynn Wood said...

These are some really great tips. I haven't glazed anything in a while but I have a few pieces that could really benefit from this treatment. You just may have given me the confidence to go ahead and give it a try again. Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

Wow, how have I never glazed in WHITE before!?! It never even crossed my mind! Thanks so much for the ah ha moment! :)

Unknown said...

I love your technuique! I was wondering, does the glaze soak into the ASCP? I read on the glazes that it works best with an eggshell finish.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow Kristen I love the finish you achieved with the glaze. I painted my bedside tables grey and added a white accent and they have never looked quite right. White glaze is what I need! I just painted a french dresser white and it needs a dark glaze in the decoration. I can't wait to try it!

Linda @ The French Hens Nest

Linzy Cotaya said...

Can you recommend colors that you have used to paint furniture before. I am a little overwhelmed by the options and would love to see a guide of some sort on what the colors are on the furniture pieces you have done.
Thanks!

Unknown said...

I really like that you have used lighter glazes over darker backgrounds.

Jim
www.jhconklin.com

Unknown said...

Hello! I was wondering when you paint with ASCP and then you glaze with your white glazing method, do you seal your piece with ASCP clear wax?

Kathy Owen, Petticoat Junktion said...

Kristin, just found this tutorial by clicking on your dresser on pinterest. I think I will try this on a piece I have now. I love the dresser. You did a great job. Of course, I love all your projects!!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial. I've done a glaze but have been dying to try it. It really finishes the pieces with such depth and age. I use chalk paint and I wondered if you apply the glaze before or after your wax?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
My Elements to Elegance

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...